Level: 2°AM Jack London Text:
Jack London was a famous American writer. His most widely known book is “The Call of the Wild”.
Jack London was born on January 12th, 1876 in San Francisco. His family was very poor, and jack had to leave school to make money. He worked hard in many different jobs.
Later, jack returned to school, but he didn’t stay. In 1897, he went to Alaska to find gold. Instead, he found ideas there for his books and stories. He returned home and started to write. His writings were successful, and he became rich and famous in his twenties.
Jack London was not a happy man. In poor health, he took his own life in 1916. He was only 40 years old when he died.
Part One: (14 points)
A) Reading Comprehension
Activity One: A/ choose the right letter to complete the sentence.
1. Jack London was a famous writer from………a) America b) England c) France
2. Jack London left school because he was very……. a) bad b) rich c) poor
3. Jack London became famous when he was………. a) dead b) old c) young
B/ Match each event with the right date.
c) 1916 1. Jack London’s death
2. jack London travelled to Alaska
3. Jack London’s birth
Activity Two: Answer the following questions according to the text.
a- Was jack London a good writer?
b- Did he finish his studies at school?
Activity Three: Match each word with its opposite.
4. happy a- unknown
B) Mastery of ********
Activity One: Find in the text four (4) verbs describing past actions. Complete the table
Regular verbs Irregular verbs
Activity Two: Chose a, b or c to complete the following sentences.
1. I always……………….. poems. a) write , b) wrote , c) will write
2. Mohamed Dib died…………….2003. a) at , b) in , c) on
3. Years ago, she …………not read books. a) does , b) do , c) did
Activity Three: Pick out from the text four verbs and complete the table according to the pronunciation of their final “ed”.
t d id
Part Two: Written Expression(6 points)
Write a composition of about 5 lines about your favourite artist
Use these notes:
- date and place of birth
- nationality and nickname
- what is he or she like
- famous works